Wednesday 25 June 2014

Top 5 Wednesdays: Last Sentences

So, this is my first post participating in the 'Top 5 Wednesdays' trend. Before I get started I have to, of course, give a spoiler warning for this weeks. These are the last sentences in each book so big spoiler warnings for what I'm going to discuss. But without further ado, let's go!


#5: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - 'All was well.'

I'm including this more for personal reasons than probably anything else. I have a love/hate relationship with the Epilogue to this book but I still cried a whole deal after reading this sentence. It summed up the ending of years of my life reading these novels and after all this time, these characters I'd grown so attached to had finally gotten their happy ending (well, most of them) and it was beautiful.







#4: 1984 by George Orwell – 'He loved Big Brother.'

This line was beyond powerful. The whole book was. The conclusion to this novel, as a whole, made such a powerful statement but this line was the real punch. And it still plagues my mind to this day.

#3: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare – 'And if the Thames that ran besides them, sure and silverin the afternoon light, recalled a night long ago when the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on this same boy and girl, or if the stones og Blackfriars knew the tread of their feet and thought to themselves: At last, the wheel comes full circle, they kept their silence.'

That line was a lot longer than I thought! But nonetheless, I am a huge fan of this series, moreso than The Mortal Instruments and this conclusion was just really lovely. The book itself was one of the most satisfying endings to a series and a love triangle that I have read and this last line was really gorgeous.

#2: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – 'A Last Note From Your Narrator: I am haunted by humans.'

I love this line so much. This book is not only one of my all-time favourites, but this last line was so special. Zusak's writing is forever beautiful by I like how simple the line is while, at the same time, it succeeds to turn the idea of Death completely around. For a story narrated by Death, it tells us so much about life and this was a beautiful and powerful end to it.









#1: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins – 'Katniss, there is no district twelve.'

This line, guys! I remember reading Catching Fire for the first time and sitting there not knowing what to do with myself after I read this line. It slaps you in the face and then gives you nothing afterward. It was even worse because I had months to wait for Mockingjay. I can't think of many cliffhangers done as well as this one was and I'm still reeling over how awesome it was close to 5 years after reading it for the first time. Well done, Suzanne!








So there you go guys. My first of (hopefully) many Top 5 Wednesdays! What are your guys Top 5 Last Sentences? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time!

Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment