Sunday 20 July 2014

Series Review: Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness



Author: Patrick Ness

Rating: 5/5 stars

Review: I've decided to make this review purely spoiler free. I was going to do as I normally do and have a non-spoiler starter and then cut to spoiler talk but I feel like I would go on for far too long so all my discussion will be without spoilers. Of course, I will be discussing stuff that happens (in very broad terms) so if you don't want any hint of what happens in this series, GO PICK UP THE BOOK AND THEN COME BACK AND LET'S DISCUSS.

But anyway! This series, guys. THIS. SERIES. Wow. I have so many things to say and also am at a bit of a loss for words in trying to successfully explain how much I loved this series. So, to start off, I knew next to nothing about what this series was actually about except for the fact that every time I went to a book store with one of my friends, she picked up The Knife of Never Letting Go and told me I needed to read it. So, when I finally bought the whole series on a whim, I didn't really know what I was getting into, and I love doing that with books. Everything is a surprise and it's wonderful. But I think even if I knew what was going on, the twist and turns the story took would've still been shocking. So many parts had me on the edge of my seat and reading the pages faster and faster to find out what was going to happen next. The pacing was really well done throughout all three books.

But what I really loved about the story was how it explored moral struggles so frequently and in so many different situations. It really makes you question your own morality. It completely blurs the lines of wrong and right and has you wondering whether there is any exact wrong or right way to handle the given circumstances.

I also adored the characters. All of them. Patrick Ness fleshed out all of his characters so well; I felt so connected to all of them. Of course, you feel a bit more connected to the three characters who get POV chapters but I truly felt like I could understand all the characters. Even ones I didn't like, I was able to see why they were like that and root for them at times. It's so interesting to have such solid, well-written characters in a story but also makes some things so much more heartbreaking.

And the series is so heartbreaking in so many ways. I cried more than once reading these books. Both from sadness and happiness, though. I won't say what it was (as it's a HUGE spoiler) but my absolute favourite scene from the book was just so beautiful and I was filled with so much joy that I just began sobbing reading it. It was scenes like this that made me fall in love with the series over and over again.

Basically, the Chaos Walking trilogy has easily secured its place as one of my favourite series of all time. I would honestly recommend this series to anyone. If you're reading this and haven't read this trilogy and are waiting for a reason, here it is! Go pick it up now and read it! Sure, they aren't short books but they are so worth it. I will warn you, though, this is a series that stays with you. It's been less than a week since I finished it and my mind is still reeling over it and I can't imagine this is going away any time soon. It's a series that's hard to leave. Your mind gets lost in the world and I think a little bit stays there even after you turn the last page and start to face reality once more.

Have you read the Chaos Walking trilogy? What did you think of it? Tell me what your favourite parts of it were in the comments!

Until next time!

Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment